Makes 4 servings
We love this soup. It’s easy. It’s flexible. It tastes like something from a fancy bistro yet comes together in 10 minutes. It is easy to store a pantry pack for quick meals.
This soup is packed with the bold tomato flavor you love without any artificial colors or flavors. Seasoned with basil and just a hint of rosemary it’s delicious at any time of day or night and the perfect ingredient in a variety of family favorite recipes ( see “Condensed Soup Version” below).
Pantry Pack—Dry Soup Mix
Makes 1 Pantry Packet
1/2 cup tomato powder
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon (regular or low sodium)
2 tablespoons dried, chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried, minced garlic
2 teaspoons of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a pint Mason jar, combine all ingredients.
- Store in a cool, dry pantry or cupboard. Storage life, if stored correctly, is 6 months.
To Prepare Soup:
2 tablespoons melted butter (or substitute fat)
1 pantry packet Basil Tomato Soup Mix
2-1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in tomato soup mixture and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Pour into bowls or mugs and add Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Condensed Soup Version
To use this soup as you would canned condensed soup (like Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato with Basil and Oregano) decrease the amount of water to 1-1/4 cups.
Conventional Tomato Version
Replace Tomato Powder with 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce to the original pantry pack recipe. Add additional items to make soup, decreasing water to 1 cup.
©2016 21st Century Simple Living www.21stcenturysimpleliving.com