Makes 1/4 cup, enough to fill an average spice bottle
There are two recipes here, a standard and a gourmet version. I use the gourmet version, but it requires keeping allspice and mace on hand. It is your choice, both are very tasty, economical, and preservative-free!
Standard Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons Cloves
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
Gourmet Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Ginger
1 teaspoon Cloves
1 teaspoon Allspice
1/2 teaspoon Mace
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- If spices are not ground to a powder, grind before measuring amounts.
- Combine all the above ingredients thoroughly.
- For maximum flavor, store away from heat and light for up to 6 months.
Use your blend for many dishes besides pumpkin pie.
- Add to pies, cakes, cookies, muffins, and pancake batters.
- Use it in place of cinnamon in recipes or use 1/2 teaspoon per cup of batter.
- Swirl it into oatmeal and other hot breakfast cereals.
- Use it to season carrots, sweet potatoes, and winter squash.
- Simmer it with apples when making homemade applesauce.
- Sprinkle it over vanilla ice cream.
- Add it to a cup of hot tea or coffee.
©2016 21st Century Simple Living www.21stcenturysimpleliving.com