Rice Pudding You Can Make Anywhere with Just Hot Water
As a child, my German mother frequently made rice pudding from leftover rice used at dinner, frequently mixing in whatever fruit was in season. My favorite was always strawberry rice pudding. I have adapted it to make “instant” rice pudding from dehydrated rice and dried strawberries.
For this recipe, if you substitute brown rice your results will not get creamy. I personally love Jasmine or basmati rice with this dish. Arborio rice works well too. It is typical to sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of each serving. Though I have used strawberries here, some prefer to add fresh fruit or other dehydrated fruit, cherries, raisins, or blueberries being a popular choice. You can dehydrate your own rice with our instructions here, or buy Instant rice (like Minute Rice®) from your local grocery store. Either will work although I do prefer the dehydrated rice for flavor and nutrition.
This dessert is high in carbs, making it a popular choice for my backpacking followers. Easy to prepare while on the trail, it is a filling, high energy breakfast or dessert.Your little ones will love this fast dish for breakfast as well.
Makes 2 dessert servings or 1 breakfast serving
Pantry Pack Ingredients
1 cup instant white rice
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup vanilla sugar or white sugar*
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dried sliced strawberries, broken into pieces
*White sugar may be used with 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract added at cook-time.
- Break up dried, sliced strawberries into bite-sized pieces.
- Sift together powdered milk, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add to a pint-sized Mason jar or Food Saver-type pouch. Measure rice and layer on top of mixture. Add strawberries last.
- Label and date jar for storage. Add the Recipe to the label for further convenience.
- Vacuum Seal jar or pouch.
℘To cut the amount of air in a jar and fit more into it, shake the jar (with the lid on) and press the food down gently, if necessary. You’ll be surprised how much will actually fit into the jars.
℘To cut down on powders sucking up in your vacuum sealing unit; use a cupcake liner in the top of the jar before sealing.
Ingredients to make Strawberry Rice Pudding
Rice Pudding Pantry Pack
1-1/2 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- Pour Rice Pudding Pantry Pack into a small bowl and add boiling water and butter, if using. Stir well to wet all ingredients and combine.
- Cover the bowl and allow to rehydrate about 20 minutes. Stir the rice pudding halfway through.
©2017 21st Century Simple Living www.21stcenturysimpleliving.com