~~~Get rid of the Cardboard-in-a-Box and never buy rice mixes again!~~~
Rice-A-Roni® is a boxed food mix that consists of rice, vermicelli pasta, and seasonings. To prepare, the rice and pasta are browned in butter, then water and seasonings are added and simmered until absorbed. The name actually came about because the dish of origin was made from rice and macaroni pasta. It was later changed to the vermicelli pasta that is used today. I call mine “Rice-a-Celli” in the interest of correctness (and so I don’t get sued). This is ready anytime you need a tasty side dish or even a main course.
You can prepare these in batches in pint jars or bags as a Pantry Pack. A great way to keep “meals” at-the-ready for your cooking is to make 5 batches and bag each “meal”. When you need a “meal”, pull out a bag or jar and you are good to go!
There are two steps to preparing your Seasoned Rice Pantry Pack, mixing the seasonings and measuring everything out for your jar or Food Saver pouch.
Step 1: Seasoning Mix
6 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules (I use Herb-Ox No Sodium)
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
1-1/2 tablespoons dried basil
1 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried, minced garlic
1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
Combine in a bowl mixing spices thoroughly. This will flavor 5 batches (3 tablespoons per batch of Rice-a-Celli).
Step 2: Putting Together the Pantry Pack
2/3 cup uncooked white rice
1/2 cup small pieces of angel hair, vermicelli or thin spaghetti (break into 1/2-inch pieces)
3 tablespoons seasoning mix
- You will need 2 containers for the pantry packet.
- In a small Ziploc bag, add 3 tablespoons of the Seasoning Mix. Push out all the air to seal closed.
- In a pint Mason jar or Food Saver-type pouch, combine remaining ingredients.
- Fold Ziploc bag into the jar or Food Saver-type pouch and vacuum seal.
- Label your container with the name, date, and information for preparing your Rice-a-Celli.
- Store in a cool, dry pantry or cupboard.
To Prepare Side Dish
Makes 3 Servings (1 cup serving size)
1 Pantry Pack of Rice-a-Celli
2 tablespoons butter*
2-1/2 cups water
- In a large skillet, combine rice-vermicelli mix and butter. Sauté over medium heat until vermicelli is golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Slowly stir in water and Special Seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Let stand 3 minutes before serving.
*Substitute olive oil or coconut oil if you wish.
High Altitude Directions: Increase water to 3 cups.
Gluten-Free: to make this dish gluten free, just add gluten-free noodles instead of the standard ones listed above to your pantry packs.
For a nice crunch, add 1 cup almonds, coarsely chopped.
To make Beef Rice-a-Celli: replace chicken bouillon with beef bouillon granules. That’s all there is to it!
Printable Recipe can be found here, Rice-a-Roni Copycat Recipe.
©2016 21st Century Simple Living www.21stcenturysimpleliving.com