With Dehydrated Potatoes and Onions, as Easy as the Store Brand but Better Tasting!
The creamy cheese sauce and dehydrated potatoes and onions in this classic dish combine to make a mouth-watering addictive experience that easily beats out any store brand but is just as easy to prepare. With dehydrated potatoes and onions on your pantry shelf, this dish comes together in no time.
It is a great side dish with a roast meat of choice. Add a green salad and French bread, and you have a wonderful meal fit for family and friends. Experiment with different cheeses like Monterey Jack for variety. Change out the onions for dried leeks or green onions. Add mushrooms for an earthy taste of umami. You can even add cooked ground beef or ham chunks and/or dried peas, broccoli, or carrots to make it a complete meal.
Makes 4 servings
2 cups dried potato slices
1/4 cup dried, chopped onions
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2/3 cups milk (I use 2% milk)
1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200° Butter a 1 quart casserole dish..
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Whisk in milk. To avoid lumps in your sauce, add the milk just a little at a time as you whisk the flour and butter. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese and sour cream all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven or until potatoes are tender.
- Upon removal from the oven you can sprinkle the top with another 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese if you wish.
©2017 21st Century Simple Living www.21stcenturysimpleliving.com